January 19, 2013

What the time zone!

I just realized I don't even know the time difference in Nepal. When I tell my parents I want to Skype with them at 11AM, what does that mean for them?

Good ole Wikipedia shed this little bit of light on my inquiry:
Nepal Standard Time (NPT) is the time zone for Nepal. With a time offset from Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) of +05:45, Nepal Standard Time[1] is one of only two official time zones with a 45-minute increment from UTC. The Chatham Islands, which uses Chatham Island Standard Time also has a 45-minute increment from UTC, its time zone being UTC+12:45.

Of all the countries to choose from, I happened to choose the "offset" one: turns out my 11AM is 9:15PM in California. That's not confusing at all.

Here's to being in my own crazy time zone! Well me, and all those people in the Chatham Islands...


1 comment:

  1. Megs, When I was in Nepal they told me that "They just did not want to be the same TIME ZONE (or anything) with INDIA because of their political history. So they shifted their TIME 15 minutes"
    THERE! that makes a struggling environment more difficult! : - / Lori

    ReplyDelete